Minnesota Veterinary Hospital Blog
Whether at home or at work, there’s likely to be plenty of chocolate around in the next few days with Valentine’s Day right around the corner. Most people love this sweet treat and it’s not harmful for them when eaten in moderation. Unfortunately, that’s not the case for your dog or cat since consuming even a small amount of chocolate can be toxic for pets.
You love animals and you want to help them in any way you can. Change a Pet’s Life Day, celebrated this year on Wednesday, January 24, gives you the opportunity to do just that. Several organizations concerned with animal welfare came together to create Change a Pet’s Life Day to raise awareness of the need for pet adoption and to improve the overall well-being of companion animals everywhere.
Mother Nature has dished out some brutal temperatures and wind chills already this winter. On a day when the thermometer reads 20 degrees below zero and you need your car to start so you can get to work, you’re grateful that someone invented antifreeze. In addition to helping your car start and run on frigid Minnesota days, antifreeze helps to melt ice on the windshield and is an essential component of hydraulic brake fluid.
To your dog or cat, antifreeze looks like water and has a sweet, attractive smell. This can cause your pet to lap up spilled antifreeze and suffer serious and immediate consequences. It only requires ingesting a teaspoon of antifreeze for cats to experience acute kidney failure and a tablespoon for dogs. That is because its primary ingredient of ethylene glycol is toxic to companion animals.