The Most Colorful Time of the Year

It is. There’s no doubt about it. The brilliance of autumn colors abound – leaves, pumpkins, mums. Mother Nature’s harvest of beauty is gloriously displayed for us to breathe in; to sink into. There’s such richness in which to bask when we take a walk, take a drive, or, simply, sit outside by a fire. It’s the perfect time to make memories with our beloved people and pets.

Family Life

Whether you’re pumpkin picking, raking leaves, baking an autumn treat, or sipping on a warm drink, undoubtedly your furry best friend is right beside you (or on your lap, or sitting on your head, or, or, or…). We wouldn’t have it any other way, would we? We get to share all these moments with them just as we do our other family members. And, as with our two-legged family members, we want to keep our pets safe, healthy, and happy.

Fall Safety Reminders

Keeping our pets safe is a concern all year-round, but there are things to be aware of each season. During the fall, there are several unique concerns, including:

  • Open flames like candles
  • Essential oils, diffused or used to keep rodents at bay
  • Ticks and tick-borne illness
  • Snakes, especially during walks in leaf-covered areas
  • Sharp sticks hidden in leaves
  • Wildlife as they prepare for hibernation
  • Hunters (especially for those in heavily hunted areas)
  • Weather-related safety

While all of these are safety concerns for your pet during the fall, perhaps the greatest risk for your pet is being poisoned.

Toxic For Pets

All the usual food guidelines apply for pets during the fall and every other day. Feeding them their regular food and the occasional pet treat is best for them. The risk of poisoning increases during fall months for several reasons, including preparation for colder weather and holidays. It’s important to keep your pet away from these potentially poisonous substances during autumn months:

  • School supplies
  • Halloween candy
  • Spices included in holiday cooking
  • Skin and/or bones from your Thanksgiving turkey
  • Mothballs
  • Rodent sprays and/or poisons
  • Decaying detritus in piles of leaves
  • Mushrooms

These items are very toxic to pets. While it may be hard to resist those big puppy dog eyes or that sassy cattitude, it’s best for their health to do so.

The Most Toxic Fall Substance

Everything listed above is toxic, but the most dangerous substance for pets is antifreeze. Most antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, which causes kidney failure. Antifreeze has a sweet taste, enticing pets to consume it. If you are winterizing your vehicle and spill antifreeze, it’s imperative that you clean it up completely.   

Ethylene Glycol Poisoning Is Treatable

Your pet may exhibit the following symptoms of ethylene glycol poisoning:

  • Vomiting
  • Being unstable on their feet
  • Losing their appetite
  • Drinking and urinating copiously
  • Having seizures

Symptoms may not be immediately apparent, but, within six to twelve hours after ingestion, your pet will be very sick. If caught in time, ethylene glycol poisoning is treatable. If you think your pet may have consumed it, it’s important to get them to a veterinarian immediately.Minnesota Veterinary Hospital, in Shoreview, MN can provide treatment for ethylene glycol poisoning or any other care your pet might need. Contact us so we can help.

Image credit: Pixabay