Are you spending Valentine’s Day with your furry friend? Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and Minnesota Veterinary Hospital is here to help keep your festivities pet-friendly.
Here are some tips to help you shower your pets with love while also keeping them healthy and safe.
Keeping Toxic Treats Out of Reach
From chocolate to heart-shaped candy, tasty treats are a staple of many Valentine’s Day celebrations. Unfortunately, many of these festive foods can be harmful to your pet. While many pet owners are aware that chocolate is dangerous, other toxins aren’t as commonly understood.
Sugar-free candy often contains an ingredient known as xylitol. This can cause severe liver damage and may even be fatal. No amount of xylitol is safe for your pet, so it’s essential to read the ingredients list closely and keep treats and candy out of your pet’s reach.
While limiting your pet’s exposure is critical, we understand that accidents happen. If your pet has consumed something they shouldn’t, give us a call immediately. The quicker your pet receives treatment, the better the outcome may be.
If you are considering decorations for your special day, here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Ribbons and Streamers
If ingested, these decorations can cause dangerous intestinal obstructions that may require emergency veterinary care. In some cases, pets may choke while consuming these enticing objects. Keep in mind that the string on balloons can also cause similar problems.
When putting up any form of decoration, monitor your pet closely and avoid hanging decorations in places your pet has easy access to. This can help keep your decorations intact and keep your pet out of harm’s way.
Candles can be a great way to add a little romance to your Valentine’s Day celebrations. When lighting candles around pets, there are a few additional safety precautions you should take.
Always make sure candles are placed in a secure location where a wagging tail or curious paw will not easily knock them over. Never leave candles unattended, and always double-check that the flame is fully extinguished when you are done.
If you have particularly curious or rambunctious pets, you may want to consider battery-operated candles. They can still help set the mood without the added risks of an open flame.
Many plants and flowers can be toxic to pets. When bringing flowers into your home, always make sure they are safe for your pet. Lillies are one of the most common toxic plants and should be avoided when purchasing bouquets. If you are unsure if your flowers are safe or toxic, consider checking out the ASPCA’s Toxic Plant Library.
Roses are the most popular Valentine’s Day flower. While roses are not considered toxic, the thorns on rose stems can be a problem for your pet. Some curious companions may attempt to chew on the stems. Thorns can cause injury to the inside of your pet’s mouth, so it’s best to keep your bouquet safely out of your pet’s reach.
Give Us a Call!
We hope these tips will help keep your pet safe this Valentine’s Day. If your pet experiences an emergency or needs medical care, please give us a call at 651-484-331. You can also learn more about our hours and emergency resources here.
Don’t forget to enjoy some quality time with your pet and show them a little extra love!
Image credit: Pexels