It’s soon to be the 4th of July, and like many Americans you are most likely planning to spend time with your family. What you may not be considering is the safety of your pets during this festive day! At Minnesota Veterinary Hospital, we want to make sure that all families have a safe 4th of July with their furry friends.To help pet owners prepare for this summer holiday, we’ve compiled 4 ways that can keep our four legged companions safe and stress-free on Independence Day.
Pets and Fireworks Don’t Mix
Fireworks are loud and boisterous so they tend to scare pets. Pets that are especially skittish around loud noises should be kept indoors and away from any fireworks. They should not be in the yard when fireworks are being used at home and avoid taking them to public festivities where fireworks will be present. Even fireworks that have not yet been set off are hazardous for pets because the substances inside are toxic to them. Similarly, if you do light off fireworks, clear your yard of debris for your pet’s safety.
Best options to celebrate? Put pets in a quiet room away from the bangs and booms of the neighborhood fireworks. Play soft music and have their favorite toys and blankets available. Consider diffusing Feliway (for cats) or Adaptil (for dogs) to help provide additional comfort to them.
Say “NO” to the Glow (Jewelry)
Glow jewelry is generally considered to be non-toxic, which is why it is considered safe for children to play with. However, when pets play with them they may ingest pieces of plastic, which could cause intestinal blockage. The liquid may also be toxic enough to cause drooling and gastrointestinal irritation.
Torches and Matches – a Quiet Danger
Tiki torches are a fun summer yard accessory that many of us enjoy on our warm summer evenings. However, to pets, the fluid inside these can cause skin irritation, gastrointestinal problems, and disruptions the central nervous center. Inhalation of the fumes may cause respiratory difficulties. Matches, often left close by to light the torches, contain ingredients which can be toxic to pets, too. https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/matches/
Monitor all items and discard safely when they are no longer in use.
Dangers of Boozy Beverages
Pets are simply unaware of the dangers of items which may be hazardous to their health. If you are celebrating your Fourth of July Festivities and have alcohol present, keep an eye on your pets. If beverages are left unattended, some pets will attempt to drink it, especially if it is masked by other smells and flavors. Make sure guests have a proper place to dispose of containers and empty glasses. Alcohol can cause more than intoxication for pets. Collapse and respiratory problems resulting from alcohol ingestion for pets may result in death.
However you are spending your 4th of July holiday, we hope you have a very fun and safe weekend together!
Photo Credit: Jason Griego / iStock / Getty Images Plus