Address:

4545 Hodgson Road

Shoreview, MN

Office:

(651) 484-3331

Click here to email us

Minnesota Veterinary Hospital Blog

Keep Your Pet Safe This Fall, Avoid These Fall Hazards

2019-10-05

Fall is here. As the leaves gently transform into their fiery reds, oranges, and yellows, we want to remind you of some of the most harmful hazards that accompany the cool weather. No, we’re not talking about you getting too hyped on pumpkin spice drinks. In fact, it’s a great time to read up on those DIY pumpkin treat recipes for cats and dogs. 

What fall hazards should you keep an eye on to avoid an emergency trip to see us? Here are some of the most common autumn dangers that should threaten your pet:


1. Keep Antifreeze and Its Container Out of Reach

Whether your dog has the appetite of a goldfish or your cat gets a little extra curious from time to time, you don’t want to risk them stumbling across your antifreeze. Pets don’t know how sick they’ll get when they lap up antifreeze. Why don’t they realize it’s dangerous? Because it tastes sweet to them. And they’re naturally drawn to it because it smells sugary sweet as well.

Stone Cold Facts About Anti-Freeze and Pet Poisoning:

  • One teaspoon of antifreeze can be fatal for cats.
  • One tablespoon can cause kidney failure in dogs
  • Anti-freeze poisoning is one of the most common poisonings pets face
  • Time matters: a pet’s survival rate is inversely proportionate to how long it takes to recognize the problem and bring the pet into an animal hospital
  • Dogs are more likely to lick up antifreeze while cats walk through it then groom themselves.

 

2. Don’t Fumble This Football Season

If you’re having friends over to watch the game, be sure to inform them of pet-friendly procedures to keep your cat or dog safe. 

Some go-to guidelines should include:

  • Close the door behind you.
  • Human food is for people, not pets.
  • Toss toothpicks in the trash.
  • Bones are for skeletons, not pups or cats.

 

3. Avoid Mold and Mushrooms

Mushrooms can be deadly. Be sure to keep an eye on your pet if they’re allowed to roam where mushrooms grow. If you see some pop up in your yard, pluck them and dispose of them in the trash.

And as for your compost pile, keep it contained with a pet-proof fence. While decomposing squash may not sound appetizing to you, your dog may think this belongs in her own personal Thanksgiving. And while eating food that’s turned is disgusting, it’s also risky. Eating mold can make your pet very, very sick.


4. Beautiful But Deadly: Watch Out for These Fall Flowers

Watch out as you arrange flowers for your home. While flowers breathe some freshness into your home, they can be toxic to pets. 

Chrysanthemums pop up in fall bouquets. While these lovely can light up your dining table, they can also lead to organ damage and failure in dogs.  

Autumn Crocus can stop you in your tracks with its brilliant and breath-taking blooms. Unfortunately, it can also stop your pet in her tracks, too, but in the worst sort of way. These blooms cause upset stomach, diarrhea, and vomiting if ingested.


5. Rake and Bag Your Leave

Yeah, raking can be a pain, but the pests and headaches hiding in fallen leaves can be even worse. As cute as it is to sit your puppy or cat in a pile of leaves, you definitely don’t want to do this. Why? Fall leaves can hide fall hazards like

  • Fleas and ticks
  • Snakes
  • Spiders
  • Rodents
  • Bacteria
  • Mushrooms
  • Mold
  • Thorns and sharp branches
     

Have a Fabulous Fall with Your Furry Friend!

We hope these hints will help squash any worries you have about keeping your pet safe this fall. Get ready to harvest endless fun with your gourd-geous pet! Too corny? We just wanted to leaf you with a smile. 

Happy fall and we are here if you have any questions or you’re ready to refill your pet’s prescriptions. 


Image Credit: smrm1977 / iStock/Getty Images Plus